Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Denver, the mile high city


The challenge from Sam A was to make a logo/ text thingie for each town I lived in. I don't know if I can do that, because I'll probably get all fried by it after a while. It's hard to strike a balance between total love and a objective opinion and writing *like that* (the above) is. Seriously, I got a little worried that Denver, the actual Self of Denver would get angry at me (not the individuals/friends/teaches who live there, none of whom I would ever want to offend but probably understand where I'm coming from).

Anyway, behold the grid! The brown/black/white color scheme! HEXAGONS! The Star Warsish font! To be truthful, most of these elements are fragmented from my early kid-hood in Minneapolis, not Denver. But Denver really seemed to hit it's stride in that 70s post-oil crisis era, and believe you me, you can totally see it from the architecture. Don't get me wrong- downtown looks more like a City of the Future than anywhere I've ever been; there's nary a building more than 20 years old that shows up on the city-scape... downtown. But when you get out towards some subdevelopments in the foothills you can really get a sense of when the economy spiked. Slanty wood sidings, smoked glass, etc. I encourage any and all illustrators to mine their own past and memories of powerful commercial art and design rather than depend on a Google search for era-specific art, because I stayed up until 3 AM last night trying to find a certain "look" from the above described era, and it was pretty fruitless.

(Google> search> HEXAGONS SCI-FI 70s GRAPHICS COME ON SHOW ME IT)

No comments: